10/31/2010

confession

i sometimes detest modern art. maybe i just don't get it, but some of it is just pretentious crap.
today i went to künstlerhaus bethanien. after watching a video called 'komm stirb mit mir' by via lewandowsky i most certainly had the urge to buy a gun and shoot myself.
a little girl sings 'komm stirb mit mir' ('come die with me') for about eternity...at least it felt like it went on forever. it also seems kind of sick to me to have a small child sing these lyrics. but who am i to judge, right? the video itself did not really impress me. it was kind of strange i guess. lewandowsky used lots of filters to intensify the colours and there was also a lot of movement in the video. somehow it made me feel a little sea sick. i couldn't convince myself to watch the whole thing, but sitting in the gallery, i was still able hear the girl's voice and it was quite nerve wrecking. maybe a little creepy even. it made me think of all those horror movies i have never watched.
so the question that keeps popping up is...why? what is your point, via? do you want to disturb us, shock us? there isn't that much that can shock this society these days. we've been polluted by shocking images since we were born! so please, please, please help me understand!

luckily i also had the chance to watch a video i actually did enjoy! daniel beerstecher's work "50°60'59,50"N / 8°40'35,30"O" can be found here.

4 comments:

  1. I have not seen the video so I can't say anything about it. But every time I went to Bethanien for an exhibition it was more or less disturbing. Maybe that is just their kind of thing. At least it makes you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you watch the beerstecher video?

    ReplyDelete